Sunday, April 1, 2012

A Sacred Work

Before the church service ended, she began sobbing. Her husband enfolded her in his arms. In the middle of a row, surrounded by people, she leaned into his chest and cried. He didn't try to make her stop, didn't try to hustle her off, or look around apologetically. He just held her. Occasionally her soft wails rose above the voice of communion. A final song. A final prayer. Still she cried.

The service over now, people made their way outside. I couldn't leave. Captivated by this woman and what was going on in her heart, I prayed for her as I lingered toward the back. The pastor leaned over a chair and spoke briefly to her husband. I imagine he said something like, “Stay as long as you need. I'll be just outside.”

It was the day after the church's first 24/7 prayer week and God was moving. Artists and prayer team members had been working for months to create a soothing, inspiring place for us to meet with God. The prayer stations invited quiet reflection, scripture meditation, worship, and meeting with God in a deeply personal way. God was indeed moving, in and amongst His people, drawing us closer to Him.

As I remained in the back of the church, occasionally letting my eyes drift back to this woman, I appreciated that no one moved in to “make it all better.” Some gave quiet affirmations to her husband and made tissues available, but it stood out that people respected their privacy, her need. Sometimes we Christians can be uncomfortable with such raw pain. There's a temptation to race in prematurely with noble attempts to resolve it. We want to hurry the process of recovery from such a vulnerable outpouring.

 Not this day. People seemed to know she was doing business with God. Better said, God was doing business with her. I marvelled to myself, “God is doing a sacred work in her. Right now, right here.” I don't know what that work was, but I knew at that very moment I was witnessing God's sacred work in an individual. I felt privileged to be there and be part of it through my prayers and compassion toward this dear woman.

God's heart is to work in my life, too. To transform it into one that knows and loves Him more this minute than the last. I know He is always working in us, but witnessing His work in action in someone's life so dramatically has given me new eyes for it. “Do Your sacred work in me” became my prayer that day.

“For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 1:6, NASB)

 “fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith...” (Hebrews 12:2, NASB)

 “And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God and are called according to His purposes.” (Romans 8:28, NASB)

That He works in us is amazing.
That He transforms us is astounding.
His work in us is holy.
His work in us is a sacred work.

I want to be changed. I want to be transformed. I need His sacred work in me. 

Do Your sacred work in me, Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment