Saturday, September 4, 2010

Stubborn As A.....

"Do not be as the horse or as the mule which have no understanding, whose trappings include bit and bridle to hold them in check, otherwise they will not come near to you."    ~ Psalm 32:9

Boy, does that verse describe my struggles with God over His definition of safety!  Not a very pleasant description, but it has been true of me more often than I care to admit.

That verse directly and unflatteringly addressed my whole struggle with resisting the provision of God's protection - which was not safe enough for me, according to my master, Fear.

Fear can still keep me away from God.  It can even make me struggle against Him, requiring a "bit and a bridle otherwise I will not come near" to Him.  What a shame it is when I will not come near to the very source of peace and comfort in the midst of my fear! 

There's a trail to follow here.  I resist because I'm afraid.  I'm afraid because I don't trust His love for me.   Perfect love casts out fear. (I John 4:18)  Only God perfectly loves.  As I BELIEVE His love and TRUST His love, my fear gets casts out.  It gets replaced.  Because "there is no fear in love" (also 1 John 4:18), when I choose to trust His love, fear gets shoved aside as my master. With eyes on the One True Master, and the immensity of His love for me, I am more eager for His nearness and resting in His love than I am in "trusting" my fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment