Monday, December 12, 2011

Trust Again

Ahh, trust. That word that's so important. The word that sums up the way to deal with every issue we face in life.

Trust God. But how? How do we do it? What's it look like and what's it feel like?

Trust, to me, seems like a bundle of contradictions. It is a passive action. The “doing” of letting go. The action of hands off. It is a strange mixture of doing a “non-doing.”

When I trust, I let go of all rights to control an event. I remove my hands of influence on the outcome. I move toward God.

It's almost, for a moment, an antsy feeling. Like trying so hard not to touch something I've just relinquished over to someone else. It's a matter of handing it over to God and not trying to manage it.

It's funny how after all these years in the company of fear that I somehow grew to think of fear as a tool with which I can somehow manipulate my circumstances. It seems I must subconsciously believe that by being afraid of something, I can control it. Or at least prevent getting blindsided by it.

But fear only serves to steal from me. It steals life, and joy, and peace. Bigger still, it steals from me the beauty of a trusting relationship with God.

I will not know God's perfect love for me if I continue distrusting Him.

If I continue trusting my fear I will never experience God's love.

I must trust His love to know His love.

Trust is a choice. With each additional choice, trust grows and gets easier. Choosing to trust God over my fear is always, always rewarding. It is always strengthening, always beneficial. As I trust Him more, I get to experience His love more. And that's just plain awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment