Thursday, August 26, 2010

Trusting the Rope - Psalm 138:8

"The LORD will accomplish what concerns me." ~ Psalm 138:8


This is what gives us courage, believing and TRUSTING that God will accomplish what concerns us. He promises to take care of our needs and to be there with us during everything that's hard. Learning to let go of my fear and "trust the rope" that is our all-loving, all-powerful God, can be a baby-steps kind of venture. I once had a psychologist say to me, "Try making a decision based on something other than fear." Wow. I was so wrapped up in fear I didn't even realize what an embarrassing testimony that was of my life. But after all these years (about 30) I have not forgotten his words. They are a good challenge whenever I am tempted to base a decision purely - or even mostly - on fear. I have to include God into my decision-making, asking Him to help me make the right decision based on the whole gamut of factors. I have to pray that He not let fear dominate, or shove aside, other important factors involved. If I remain afraid after looking at all aspects of a decision and determining the right thing to do is the very thing I'm so afraid of doing, then I need to TRUST God with it all.

I always seem to capitalize that word TRUST. In my journal, it is always capitalized. The reason, I know, is because it is so profoundly foundational that I cannot help emphasizing it as I write it. I want it to stand out, not only as I leaf through the pages of my journal at some later date, but I also want it to stand out AS I'm writing it. TRUST. It is so important. It is THE crux of our relationship with God. As I capitalize the letters in this word, I am trying to drill them deeper and deeper into my very soul in reminder.

No comments:

Post a Comment