Friday, June 25, 2010

Why This Blog

This is a blog for fearful Christians. Christians who are afraid. If you are not a Christian, or don't know for sure if you are, I invite you to stick around. We could all use a little company as we look at our fear.

I write about fear not because I'm an expert at being brave or choosing faith over fear. I don't write because I'm a counselor, or a pastor, or a psychologist, or have some other such declaration of authority. I write because I know fear. I write because God, throughout my whole life, has been patiently and lovingly committed to drawing me out of slavery to fear.

I write because I know there are others of you out there who are, to varying degrees, slaves to fear. I write because I believe you're like me in that you long for freedom. You long for the life you've been missing. You long for that abundant life Jesus came to give you. I write because enough is enough, we are tired of all that fear continues to cost us and all that we've missed because fear has robbed us. I write because, despite the fact that I still deal with fear, God has been working in me regarding the fear in my life.

One of the ways God teaches me is through other people's lives. I learn from other people's stories. I believe we are to share our stories with each other. So I believe God can use the story and experiences of my personal journey from fear to faith, "from fear to eternity", to bless and encourage others. I write because of 2 Corinthians 1:3-4 "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort,who comforts us in all our affliction so that we will be able to comfort those who are in any affliction with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God."

The purpose and vision of this blog on fear is to strengthen the knees that are weak, which is for some reason how Hebrews 12:12 got locked into my brain, though it actually says, "Therefore, strengthen the hands that are weak and the knees that are feeble." It is to "Encourage the exhausted and strengthen the feeble, Say to those with anxious heart 'Take courage, fear not.'" (Isaiah 35:3-4a). It is my desire to comfort, encourage, instill hope and spur you to press on in your personal journey From Fear to Eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment