Sunday, September 26, 2010

Find What You're Looking For

This past summer I bought Amy Grant's new CD, Somewhere Down The Road.  It was my CD of the summer and I have loved it.  One of her songs talks about how we can either look for the good in people or  or look for the bad in people.  Either way, we'll find what we're looking for.  Guaranteed.  In every person is good and bad.  We will find what we're looking for.

Recently, it came to my attention that this concept applies to my fear, too.  Being a "fraidy cat" as I am, I tend to always have my guard up.  I'm always on the look-out for danger and threats.  It's as if internally and subconsciously I have a radio scanner going, scanning for trouble.  I stand with my own sword and shield (instead of God's sword and shield) at the ready to defend against whatever might do me harm. Fear is my signal that something is threatening.  Only problem is, my history and my junk create a whole boat-load of perceived dangers and I end up afraid of more than I need to be afraid of, more than I should be afraid of.

The other day, I realized that if I have my guard up and my radio scanner on, looking for things to be afraid of...I will find them.  There are plenty of things to be afraid of in this world.  Add to them the things I exaggerate or make up, and "dangers" (whether real or perceived) are everywhere.  I can become besieged, stagnant and frozen.  That's not how God wants me to live.  That's not the kind of life Christ died to give me.

So, I'm on a new adventure, trying to NOT look for things to be afraid of in any given circumstance.  Or person.  Sometimes, my fear can totally mess up my relationships with people.  If I'm always on guard looking for the things that trigger my fear warning bells, then I'm going to find them in people.  I don't want to live like that any more.  I want to live freely, fully, and joyfully.  I want to look for the joy, the opportunity, the love, the blessing.  I want to look for GOD in every circumstance and in every encounter and relationship.  I will certainly find what I'm looking for.

1 comment:

  1. Judi,
    Vonda told me about your blog and I am so glad she did. I will visit often. I am preparing to go to the Christian Writer's Den Retreat in a few weeks. I confessed to her that my insecurities were screaming at me from every angle. I don't know any of the women - not even Vonda, personally - and my fear is that I won't measure up. Silly, I know, but true. I knew that if I confessed that to her, I would disarm Satan in his attempt to defeat me.

    You are doing a good job with your writing and I am sure you are reaching people that you aren't even aware of. I have found that to be true with my blog, Morning Glory. It is a daily devotional blog that teaches snippets from God's Word. I discovered that too many Christians do not know the Word. I would love for you to visit sometime. http://morningglorylights.blogspot.com/

    Keep pressing forward with the task you have been given. Haggai 2:4 reads, "...'be strong, all you people of the land,' says the Lord, 'and work; for I AM with you,' says the Lord of hosts."

    Sweet blessings to you,
    Nan Jones

    PS Love the Joyce Meyer quote, "Do it afraid." I might have to make that into a banner :)

    ReplyDelete